Monday, September 8, 2014

Dear mom about to go back to work,



I remember when Millie was born dreading each passing week, because each passing week meant I was one week closer to having to go back to work. Going back to work was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life, but honestly, it was also a really good thing.

As you look forward with either excitement or trepidation to your first day back remember (or if you have just recently returned) take comfort in the fact that you are doing the right thing for your family right now. You are helping to put food on the table, you are showing your children that what you do matters too, you are making a choice that is okay and good for you right now. Maybe you love work, maybe you don't, but there is a reason you are there right now. There has to be, or you wouldn't be there.

Each day as you trust your child's life with another person, whether it is family or a big day care, know that they are still loved, God is still watching them, you are still their mama.

Take comfort in the fact that the first few days will likely be easer than you imagined. Don't be ashamed if you enjoy the time away from your little one, it is okay to feel that way. Don't let others make you feel like you are doing anything wrong. No matter how well intentioned it is, don't listen to the critics of your story. You are doing what you are doing for a reason, whether it is because of a deep passion for your job, a need to have a break or to put food on the table and a roof over your heads. Those are honorable too.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you Allison! I needed desperately to hear your words of affirmation and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found encouragement in these words. I remember it being so hard when I went back to work. Praying for your transition!

      Delete
  2. Well said. And I too remember dreading going back to work after my first was born. It was so hard. Fortunately, we were able to make it work so I only had to do it for two months and have been home ever since. Not everyone can swing it though and they do need to be reminded that it's ok to have to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, wasn't it so hard? I think as a teacher it is hard for a lot of reasons (but every job really has it's reasons for being hard). I am also thankful we have been able to make it work for me to be home now!

      Delete
  3. I love this, great encouragement for working moms!

    ReplyDelete